Saturday, March 15, 2008

Going to the bathroom outside!


I started walking Alec outside briefly with a sling to support his back end 3-4 times a day and it has been working! He is actually going to the bathroom outside and he has not soiled his bed once (knock on wood!) since I took him outside for the first time Tuesday evening after our re-check appointment. I couldn’t be happier and I know Alec is too. As soon as he got outside and started sniffing, he began to go all on his own... I couldn’t believe it! This is going to make things so much easier for us if he is able to continue. I also started feeding him three times a day, standing up at an elevated food station (cardboard box I found in the supply room), and this has been working great. Thankfully, he has been excited about his food (before, he was more of a picky eater), and having him stand while eating and drinking is good therapy, as he should be standing and bearing weight on his back legs for several minutes a day. Then about 10 minutes after he eats I sling-walk him outside and he goes to the bathroom. I have been trying to keep to a strict schedule each day so that he gets into a regular routine. It is so much easier not having to change his bed several times a day – not to mention trying to keep him clean and dry! I am so happy about this. My back has been hurting quite a bit (the hind end of a paralyzed shepherd is heavy!!) but I am hoping the pain will subside and/or i will get stronger.

No comments: